Friday, February 8, 2008

Billy's Diary Entry No.1

Hi, and welcome to the very first entry to my 'blog' or what I prefer to call . . . . my diary.

Why Belarus? Please let me explain why I have such a passion for making the children of Belarus laugh and smile.

It started about 6 years ago when I performed my first show for the Plymouth link of Chernobyl Children's Life Line. The Link bring approximately 16 children to Plymouth, every year, to live with host families for four weeks in the summer. Being here can prolong their lives for as much as two years, breathing fresh air and eating fresh food. For the past 6 years I have performed balloon modelling and magic for these children at their leaving party.

In April 2006, for the 20th anniversary of the Chernobyl Nuclear disaster, I visited Belarus. I took a huge bag of balloons and visited orphanages, hospitals, schools and villages performing balloon modelling shows. I didn't expect to get so hooked. Making these under privileged children smile really is priceless. So much so that I went back again the following October and again the following April.

I'm now planning a 28 day tour, visiting the more deprived and contaminated areas of Belarus. The planning for my tour started as soon as I came back from my last visit in April 2006.

In May 2007, with the help of very good friend and fellow magician Clive (Emazdad) Hemsley, the 'Make A Smile Appeal' was launched. The appeal was set up with the aim to raise £5000 for a 28 day tour. The target is to cover all costs such as air fares, hotels, transport, translators, visa's and of course, 1000's of balloons.

The official launch of the appeal was in the form of a variety show at Marjons drama theatre in Plymouth. The show was a huge success and raised £1071 for the appeal. Tickets sold out within six weeks. The tickets for the 'Belarus Spectacular Children's Variety Show 2008' are now available, but don't wait too long, they won't take long to sell out.


Since the appeal was launched, with the help of many organisations as well as individuals, we've now managed to hit our £5000 target. We're now starting to raise funds for the next tour. For further details, please visit the official Make A Smile website.

This is the first entry to my Make A Smile diary, but it certainly won't be the last. Please subscribe to my diary to be kept informed of any future updates. I'm hoping to find available internet access while on my tour in May so I can update photos and my diary.

Best wishes . . . . . Keep Smiling,

Graeme (Billy Wiz Magician)

No comments: